Challenge Packs!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Irritable Uterus

I heard that phrase a couple times last night. Let me tell you what happened.

Right around 9pm, while watching American Idol, I started having pretty painful contractions. I've been having Braxton Hicks for awhile now, but they were never painsful. These bad boys though definetely took my breath away and I couldn't talk through them. I started to time them. They were pretty sporadic but on average were coming every 10 minutes. I called the dr, who told me to immediately come in so he can have a look.

When I get there, I have lots of "fun" exams done to my hoo ha, (catheters anyone??), and pretty much everyone in labor and delivery has been exploring in this area. Good times. I wait. and wait. and wait. So 730 am, the dr comes in and tells me that I was dehydrated, hence why they kept me on iv fluids all night, and all my tests came back with good results. Great news! Isabel will NOT be making an early appearence after all. I'm only 25 weeks pregnant, so giving birth at this stage would not be a good thing whatsoever. The doctors reacted quickly, like something out of a high drama medical show, and I am very grateful for that.

I am stuck today in bed, with orders from the doc to take it easy for a couple days. I will not fight that, because I am VERY tired. Sleep is a wonderful healer of sorts.

Things I learned:

-Isabel is a fighter. In that she does NOT like the monitoring belts they strap on you. She kept kicking them off all night, sending the sweet L and D nurses into a tizzy trying to get a heartbeat on her. She was straight up MAD at these constricting things all up on her uterine home, and she definetely let us know how unhappy she was about the situation. Fun hearing her loud heartbeat and her kicks in the monitor though.

-always bring earplugs to the ER. You never know how long you are going to be there. And if you end up spending the night, and you want to have any rests, it's the only way to go. I wanted to throw my IV pump across the room with the constant cranking sound it was making.

-Drink water like it's going out of style. Next time I have any exams done to me like they did, I want to be actually pushing a baby out in the next day or 2. So no more preterm labor for me please.

So I am going back to bed for my second long nap of the day. I hope you are doing wonderfully and I will write again soon when I feel less like a sleepless zombie.

No comments: